Thursday, February 4, 2010

How To Create Your Own Web Page

This topic comes to my ears from time to time: How do you create your own web page?
First of all, this text is just a draft of what you need and lists only the basic steps to have your own web page up and running in an easy way.

1) Content: The most important part of a web page is its content, so get the ball rolling and start writing your texts for the content. Time and time again, people ask me to create a simple web page, but when asked about the texts, they fail to provide them to me, so I cannot help them at all.

2) Images: Words are always nice to have in a webpage, but pictures or images can help a lot.

2) A web page hosting: This can be your own server, if you have one, in which case, your modem/router has to be set accordingly to allow connections to port 80.

3) The coding: This can be HTML, Ajax, PHP, Flash, CSS, you name it. The simplest web pages are created in HTML. I personally have not cared enough as to learn HTML, since I use a program called FrontPage, from Microsoft, which creates the HTML for me.

4) FTP program: Web pages are created locally (on your computer or the computer of the web page designer) and then "uploaded" to the host using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program. I use FireFTP for Mozilla Firefox, gFTP in Linux or Filezilla in Microsoft Windows.

5) Time, time, time ... and patience: Do not expect the texts to create themselves or the first draft for your web page to be flawless.

Regards,

F. Bobbio C.

No comments:

Post a Comment